Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Erin here. I thought I should show some of my quilt in progress -- well at least the words -- before I get the top together. I worked on the words first to be sure that the center of my quilt would be big enough for all the words. I was going to put "Tutti Fruitti," my name, town/state and Liberated Amish 2010 in the borders, but as you can see I changed my mind.
The only thing I might change is the "r" in mandarin. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with them -- even plum and blueberry which are a little dark against the black. They will be like a surprise in the borders you'll notice when you're close enough to read them.
Monday, May 17, 2010
Hi, debbi dw here. Though I have not posted yet, I have two LAGT quilts drawn up on paper (only the ideas, of course, liberated piecing to come). These fabrics are the start of my "Global Change" quilt, a liberated version of the Chinese Coins quilt (which is online, but not in the book, go figure). At least one top by the start of June - hold me to it!
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Here's my progress as of yesterday, May 10th. I've gotten the center of the quilt all sewn together. I'm working on my letters/word, and then I'll be ready to add the border. I'll have another opportunity for creativity with the borders, as I don't have enough of any one fabric for the border.
As I was looking at the challenge quilt hanging on the design wall yesterday, I thought the top was billowing in the breeze. And then I realized that the wonky 9-patches are creating an "Op Art" effect! They look like they're bending or bowing out, due to the off-centered-ness of the blocks. That was a fun surprise that I never expected!
Monday, May 10, 2010
Friday, May 7, 2010
You can see more photos of the quilt (including the label on the back) here. Chris even used purple thread for the gorgeous Baptist Fan quilting.
Thanks, Tonya ~ this challenge has been a LOT of fun!