Friday, February 26, 2010

I found it!


This is the other Letters quilt I mentioned yesterday -- turns out it's in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago, which seems to have quite a large collection of quilts, both classic and fairly modern.

I spent this snowy day in my sewing room, allegedly cleaning up, but I couldn't resist sitting down and sewing a little at the end of the day. I tried to piece one of those wacky stringy squares from That Star Quilt, and got about halfway through one, before my leftover strips were gone, and the bobbin thread ran out. That seemed like the time to quit.

The resulting half a block is, well, interesting. I'm going to go look at it now, and see how it looks after a couple of hours of distance.

4 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

looks like we need to all make a trip to Chicago as well as San Francisco to see some great inspiration. It's worth noting this is a big bed-sized quilt. As for YOUR work, remember you can't judge the individual bits - it's how they all work together that matter.

YankeeQuilter said...

Just because it is a bed size quilt in the collection doesn't mean you have to make a bed size quilt though...

Tonya Ricucci said...

totally true. I just wanted to make the point of how huge it was when you look at THIS quilt, to give it the proper sense of scale. If you're making your own version of anything, you can do anything you want.

wishes, true and kind said...

I love the tilted "S".