Sunday, February 14, 2010

It needs more! More pink!

Hello everyone, Lynley here again in Canberra, Australia. This is the top so far - I took for my starting point #107 which is pinwheels with feathered edges and lots of a lovely plain denim blue . The denim blue is kind of there (it looks much lighter and less grey in real life than in the picture). I cut the pinwheels off centre and feathered the plain setting blocks rather than the pinwheels. Plenty of unresolved triangle borders there!!!



The large plain areas look so good in the finished amish quilts and so boring in my own half-finished tops ... I need to have more faith that the quilting will make it look good, and resist the urge to stick more lairy colours on it. Actually, I won't be able to resist the urge, and I'm thinking lots more of the pinks in the next border to wrap round or beside my words. Maybe pointy pinks, say a sawtooth border?


I really like the pink and the turquoise together, it's not something I would normally think of doing; but I dyed a lot of blues and greens and they looked deadly boring with just each other. I had done a few plain yellows but they were too washed out. But the pinks were already sitting in the shelf .... waiting.




8 comments:

Quiltefia said...

Hi!! I love this one!! Add some pink borders!? Great work!! Anne:-)

Kathy said...

I really like the pinks and adding another round of pink triangles with blues in the border would look smashing.....maybe use pink thread when you do the quilting in the empty blocks....

Tonya Ricucci said...

looks great - wonderful liberation. those areas WILL look wonderful quilted. how big are those squares? I'd be tempted to put words or initials in a few of them if they are big enough...

Jewel said...

I think it is so fun! The quilting is really gonna make it spark.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, go for more borders!

comicbooklady said...

maybe some pink sawtooth borders?

Lynley said...

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, I LOVE the idea of pink quilting thread on the turquoise!

beth said...

love it!