Saturday, February 13, 2010

The booty




Hello, finally I can post! It seems like everyone has been very busy choosing their quilts, deciding on their fabric, some already cutting and sewing....I hope to catch up.
My name is Roberta I am italian and I live and work in my country of birth, Italy. I visit very regularly Tonya's blog and I am always inspired by her positive and carefree attitude towards quilting. I am happy I was able to join in this fun and stimulating adventure of liberated quiltmaking. I have been a quilter for many years now and was always awe struck by Amish quilts, their simplicity, their graphism and their beauty. I worked with solids before and also with fabrics different than american cottons, I loved the process and the resulting quilts, mostly small works.
I have decided to use an assortment of fabrics I bought at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham this past august (my booty!), they are made by Oakshott and I have already worked with them, if you starch them a little they perfom very well and the result is beautiful because they change color since they are woven with two different color threads.

I do not usually buy fat eights, but that was all they had besides yardage so I bought all of the colors they had (90!) and some yards for possible borders. I plan to make two or three small works to hang in my work room. It was hard choosing from the beautiful Collection of Amish quilts, my eyes were taken by n. 012 Crazy-Arthur, 043 Roman stripes and 049 Stripes crib all dated 1930.
Have all a good week- end and sew some or a lot if you can, I will try and....thank you Tonya for organizing this for all of us!

~ Roberta ~

12 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

Those fabrics look beautiful just folded in the box...can't wait to see them used in a project!

laura said...

OOOOOOoooooo Roberta- those are so delicious! I have seen some work done with those two thread woven fabrics and they are amazing.

Kathleen C said...

What beautiful colors!
My quilt will be small because it will be limited to the solids-and almost solids-that I have on hand.
Can't wait to see what you do with your colors.
Kathleen C

Brenda said...

lovely, lovely, lovely colours. have fun playing with them!

Tonya Ricucci said...

these fabrics are GORGEOUS. I just did a quick search and couldn't find a U.S. source for them. maybe someday. anyway, great inspiration, beautiful colors - have a great time making the quilt!

Kim said...

Oh that is just such a tease .....that delicious box of colors!
I can't wait see how it looks in your creation.

Happy sewing, I'm still waiting for my book and material to come :0)

Kathy said...

lovely colors!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Now THAT is some solid color stash!!! Wowie!!! It's so purdy it would be hard to cut I to it!!!! HAve loads of fun with that!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great collection of gorgeous solids! I can't wait to see what you do with them.

I received my book today!

sophie said...

Your booty is booty-ful!! I think those fabrics will make for an Amish-inspired quilt with a lot of bling.

I considered using a collection of solid colored silks for a shiny rich-colored quilt, so I know I'm going to love yours.

I'm almost certain those fabrics are available in the US, too, maybe from a different company or with a different name for this market.

roberta said...

Wow!!!! I did not espect all this attention....of course it's the gorgeous fabric that is getting it....i hope to make something worth of its beauty! It was waiting for this get together and although I have already chosen the quilts and probably will start cutting (aaghhh!!!) into them soon, i did order Gwenn's book and Amish Abstraction, but they wiil arrive in late march. You state side, do you realize how lucky you are to have everything at your fingertips? In italy we are getting there slowly and sometimes we have to travel very far to get the fabric there is, not always the fabric we want.....
have a great sunday and sew a little or a lot!!!
From freezing Italy, Roberta

Clare said...

Thoe fabrics are making my mouth water. I don't think I'd have the heart to cut into them. I'd just sit and gaze!