Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crazy for Amish quilts

While you were all signing up for this blog, I was at a quilt retreat working on a little liberated (and not so liberated) Amish quilt goodness of my own. This is Brenda from Scraps and Strings, and I've been intending to get into my drawer of solid strips and strings and scraps and yardage for a long time, so this class is just the push I need. I don't yet own the book, and I'm intending to visit the web site soon, but so far, I'm leaning toward a crazy quilt with big borders.
At my retreat I made some blocks and a wee quilt with Amish-style solids.
At left  below are two double nine-patch blocks which still need borders to get them up to 12.5 inches for a guild challenge/block exchange. The wonky star was a sample from showing a friend how to make them, and the little one patch was made from all the leftover squares from the nine-patches. It measures about 8 by 11 finished. I look forward to seeing what the rest of you come up with. Thanks for having me!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm commenting here to get the follow-up comments emailed to me.

Tonya Ricucci said...

those are fun, Brenda. Cotton crazy kinda crazy?

sophie said...

I adore the one-patch quilt. It looks like you really had fun at your retreat.

YankeeQuilter said...

That little quilt is wonderful! love how some fabrics just glow....